Thursday, April 07, 2005

Get to Work!

Last year, Fink would now and again e-mail me "get to work" after I'd send out a flurry of e-mails his way. More like a blizzard, but ok. It was always funny b/c I'd send him so many emails b/c I was working. I'd shoot out emails during paper breaks. Now I need to buckle down again. Not a lot of time left here. Going to Chi-town and Steel City in less than a week. Gonna see Gary and Elliot and oh my, The Future! Antsy and content with leaving Boston. I'll be here now and again. Life will be a bit of a schlep, but that's life. And, hell, I can't wile away my 20s here in this box, even if it's dysfunctionally, but cleanly decorated.

Ariel going to school will be good. We'll both get work done and life will be new and reinvigorated. Like Gary and Fink on the mountain with grapes.

Not much else is going on.

Talked to J. Fox for a looong time on the phone. He's a kind soul.
Ben is pushing forward and feeling the flow and overall doing fantastic.
T is gently sliding across collegetime. Time that's heavy, then goes away quickly.
Parents are gladly doing their thing.
Ariel is happy and self-assured now that she's going to biz school.

MIT life is working out, eating as a chore, seeing faces for interminable boring "talks" and "groups," teaching students, and accosting passing "friends" with quick, breathy life-updates before they "have to go."

It's crazy how hierarchical academia is. With the undergrads, grads, postdocs, asst. profs, profs, chairs, chairs with armrests, etc. It's really like the Catholic Church only instead of kissing the ring, you toss an anti-Bushism to your superior. It's really gotta get worse as you get older. But, where else are we gonna house all these asexual, rootless, childless, anti-real world weirdos?

In closing, "can't you see his hurt!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home